Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Cochem Castle

One of my very favorite castles from when we lived in Germany 10 years ago was Cochem Castle.  We've been back here for 8 months & still hadn't been back yet so we decided to go while Emily was here visiting.  It's still one of my very favorites.


I love Cochem Castle because it's one of the few castles still furnished that allows you go to inside.  The tour guides are FABULOUS there & their tours are hilarious.

And something BIG happened to me on this particular day.  We were on a German tour & Trek was acting as a translator for the kids, but the tour guide was super nice & would sometimes say a few things in English for us.  She rattled off a hilarious story about the royalty who lived in the castle when it was being built having severe OCD & having to make doors & shelves completely equal in symmetry.  I was laughing (because I'm the same way) & Trek looked at me & said, "You got that?"  I looked at him puzzled & said "yeah, it was in English."  He started laughing & told me it was all in German.  I'm starting to hear & understand the craziest things in German now.  I have a hard time telling when people are speaking English & when they're speaking German.  Now if I could only speak as well as I understood.  That's my next great conquest.


This castle has several secret passages too.  Canyon got to find the secret button to open "the wall" in this section of the castle.  Behind the wall was a staircase that led down to the village . . . an escape route in case of attack.















I love this castle so much.  There's so many fun things to take pictures of.






Cochem Village is also such a great place to visit.  So many neat things to see.




I had an old picture of Trek & Cadence that we re-created with this one,
but I can't find the old one for the life of me.  It's hilarious.


We re-created several pictures of our many visits from 10-12 years ago.  The kids love poking fun of themselves when they were little.  I've included a few of the re-creations in this post.  Take special notice that Trek does not age AT ALL.  He looks the same today as he did 12 years ago.

   





  













Lo has always loved rubbing the mermaid's belly.

  







  





  

















These two are sisters always & forever.  They're so sweet.



After visiting the castle, we went down to the village & ate lunch at a great little bakery.  We had waffles, soup, & bauernbrot with melted kase.  It was delicious.











 It was a such a fun day.  Cochem is my go-to place.  I love it so much.  We'll be back for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment