Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

With Emily here, & it being a 3 day weekend, we decided to do some major sight seeing.  On Saturday, we visited one of my very favorite German villages: 
Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

This medieval city that started in about 950 AD.  (It's OLD.)  It's a beautiful city that still has it's original wall surrounding it, the castle gates & tower still standing, & the homes built centuries ago still completely in-tact.  It's GORGEOUS.

Lorien & Taya stayed home with the boys (the 3 hour drive each way didn't appeal to them.) so it was just the four of us (Trek, Emily, Cadence, & me).



We climbed to the top of the city tower which was a little scary at times, but gave us amazing views of the entire city.







The cathedral in Rothenburg is beautiful too.




The plönlein is one of the most photographed places in Europe.  It's just a small yellow home that divides the road at a fork leading to the two castle gates.







One of my favorite things to do in the city is follow the wall.  We climbed up the wall & walked around the entire city.  It's beautiful from the top.








We ate a delicious German lunch at a small restaurant there.  We had brats, fries, schnitzel, & spätzle.


Rothenburg is known for their Schneeballen (snowballs).  I'm not even entirely sure what these are, but they are DELICIOUS & I still crave them.  Their taste is SO unique that even 10 years after I had my last schneeballen I could taste them in my mouth when I saw them in the store windows.  We got SEVERAL.  They are like puff pastry that's been formed into a ball & fried & then rolled around in flavour or nuts or chocolate.  They are incredible.















We also found a fun little bakery where we ate rasberry tarte, cheesecake, & other yummy treats.






After driving 3 hours to get there, then spending several hours walking around the city, it was time to drive the 3 hours home.  The girls were out within 5 minutes of getting in the car.


It was a wonderful day.  I love Rothenburg.  It's a MUST SEE when in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment