Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Burg Nanstein - Landstuhl, Germany

Aaah, Burg Nanstein.  I love this little treasure 10 minutes from our house.  This is where I take anyone who visits or wants something to do.  I go up here to hike, read books, take walks, & just relax & enjoy the views.

We hiked up to the castle right after we moved here, but the actual castle itself was closed so we didn't go inside.  I went inside with Opa & Oma when they were here, so we decided to finally take the rest of the family exploring INSIDE the castle.

Burg Nanstein is a castle ruins.  Only a few "indoor" rooms are still fully intact, but just walking around the maze of endless corridors & hidden alleys is SUPER fun.  I love exploring castles.  There's always SO much to see.  It's starting to get cold here (like 22 degrees F or -10 degrees C) so we bundled up the best we could & went on an adventure.


The days are cold, wet, & foggy here now, but I love the German people's outlook on weather:

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad preparation!"

I have made this our adventure motto.  
Rain?  Fine.  Snow?  Fine.  Fog?  Fine.  Always dark?  Fine.
We can still have fun as long as we are prepared for anything.
So we bundled up & decided to go on an adventure.


My kids love exploring castles.  Our favorite activity is playing hide & seek in the hidden tunnels & crevices hidden all over these old ruins.






Burg Nanstein is great because lies on the top of a hill/mountain.  It overlooks most of the bases & Landstuhl village.  There's a tower that you can go to the top of that overlooks the castle ruins too.  It's fun to go up there & imagine what the castle looked like in it's glory.

















It was a really fun day for exploring & spending time together as a family.  And I love that we can literally come back here as many times as we want.  10 minutes is SO close.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment