Friday, December 13, 2019

Sankt Wendel Weihnachtsmarkt

A lot of my friends have been telling me their favorite Christmas market is the Sankt Wendeler market.  It only runs for one week so we had to catch it before it went away.  The big girls had a lot of homework, so they stayed home while Trek & I ventured out with the younger kiddos.


The first thing we tried were chimney cakes.  I've heard people talk about chimney cakes, but I've never had one.  They take dough (like crecent dough) & wrap it around a wooden spool & stick it over a bed of hot coals where the dough is rotated until it become golden brown.


When they pull the dough off the spools, they are hollow (like a chimney) & extremely hot, causing smoke to come out of the top (like a chimney).  Then they are rolled in chocolate, sugar & cinnamon, or nuts.  We got one chocolate & one cinnamon/sugar chimney cake.  Both were DELICIOUS.





Sankt Wendel is an adorable little city about 35 minutes from us.  I had never been there before & now I'd like to go back & explore a little more.  It's a great little city.


There was a whole gnome village at one end of the Christmas market where you could visit these adorable little houses depicting scenes from the life of a gnome.  (We were laughing because the "at home" house had a lady gnome taking a shower completely NAKED as well as an entire "bath house" with SEVERAL naked gnomes.  Isn't it amusing how something that is taboo in one country is so normal in another?)  But it was an adorable little exhibit to walk through.  The kids thought it was cute.



The kids each bought some crepes with their own money.  Crepes are a favorite of the Potter kids.








I found heaven in a bowl at one of the booths.  I've always love bratkartoffeln (fried potatoes & onions) in German restaurants, but this little place added bacon & sausages to theirs & let me tell you, it was heaven on earth.  I'm still having a hard time chewing things with my new braces & back teeth bumpers, but this was soft enough to eat & I ate the ENTIRE bowl.


We had a great time exploring here & will definitely visit this Christmas market again next year.  It's a great one for kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment