Wednesday, February 21, 2024

This is the Christ Christmas Concert

I was asked in September if I would be willing to perform in a Christmas concert with the amazing Bonner Family as a pianist.  I will admit, I didn't know who the Bonner Family was or what this concert would entail, but I've accompanied many musical numbers & concerts in my years of teaching music, so I agreed thinking it would be like any other concert I've previously done.

Boy was I wrong.  The minute I looked at the piano music I almost cried.  I pride myself in being able to play most music.  I've studied & practiced piano since I was 4 years old & can play most pieces required for accompaniment with a little to no practice.  These particular pieces required more than just a little practice.  This was going to require 40+ minutes of practice every day for 3+ months.  How on earth was I going to find time to do that?!?! 

After about 2 weeks of TRYING to practice & totally wigging myself out thinking there was NO WAY I was going to get these songs down, I had to have a serious conversation with myself on whether this was going to be possible or not.  I called the music director of the concert & told her I didn't think I'd be good enough at these songs by December, & she told me I would.  She told me I would be able to do it if I put my heart into it, so I decided to trust her & do the impossible.

Every single day for 3 months, I spent 40 minutes to an hour at my piano hashing out each measure of music one at a time.  What seemed impossible, slowly became only slightly impossible, then possible, then decent, then pretty good, then FUN.  I honestly have not had this much fun playing piano in my 42 years of life. 

The Bonner Family are gospel music singers & they put a lot of heart & soul into their music.  All their songs have a jazzy blues feel (which makes it even harder to play), but once I got the notes & rhythms down, it because truly "soulful" for me.  I was having an absolute blast playing these songs.

Our concert was December 10th & though I didn't play perfectly, I played to the absolute best of my ability & had a blast doing it.  Canyon also performed in the children's choir.  I'm loving that he has found a love of singing & it sharing his talents with the world too.  He's adorable & I love him for trying new things.

Trek was able to video a few of the songs, but not all so enjoy some of the pieces from our concert.  It was so much fun.


Go Tell it on the Mountain 
(Dani playing piano)


When Will My Heart Arise
(Dani playing piano)


Run To The Manger
(Dani singing in the choir)


Mary Had a Baby, Yes Lord
(Canyon singing in the children's choir)


This Little Light of Mine
(Canyon singing in the children's choir)


Joy To The World
(Dani singing in the choir)


This is the Christ
(Dani singing in the choir)





My parents & my brother's family all came out to watch me both play piano (for 4 songs) & sing in the choir as well as well as watch Canyon sing in the children's choir.  Afterward we went to the park to see the Christmas lights, then back to our house for hot chocolate.


Though I was somewhat relieved to not have to practice an hour a day plus 2+ hours a week at rehearsals anymore, I'm glad I did it & I really grew as a performer which I'm grateful for.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment