Monday, July 12, 2021

Lagos, Portugal - Day 1

For Mother's Day a couple of husbands put their heads together & decided to give their wives a trip somewhere fun, alone with no kids.  They decided on Portugal (for 13 Euro round trip, how could you NOT jump on that?!?). I felt so blessed to be included in this little plan.  Thank you to these 3 husbands (& for Trek joining in) for coming up with such a fun idea for your wives.  It was great because I got to know these 3 ladies really well on this trip.  We really grew closer & it was a lot of fun just hanging out with other ladies for a change.  It made me feel like a teenager again.  (They made me feel young!)


Flying into Portugal gave me goosebumps.  It was GORGEOUS.




I found this absolutely AMAZING beach resort for us to stay at.  It was INCREDIBLE.  We each paid $77 a night (3 nights total) for a huge room with a living room, dining room, full kitchen, laundry, 2 bedrooms with 2 beds, OVERLOOKING the ocean, & a full rooftop terrace overlooking the ocean.  There were 6 swimming pools, a spa, gym, & much more.  Breakfast was included in that price & it was AMAZING.  I 100% recommend this place.

https://www.belmarresort.com/en/






Just a 5 minute walk from the hotel room was this beautiful beach with 2 restaurants.  I cannot even begin to tell you how beautiful it was here.  Pics don't do it justice.  We ate lunch at Campari's & it was amazing.  I had a strawberry milkshake & a Mediterranean salad with goat cheese.  It was fabulous. 




OH!!  And the pastel de nata!  These were everywhere out there.  They were between 30 cents & 1 Euro depending on where you bought them & they were HEAVEN ON EARTH.  To me, they were very similar to creme brulee (a custard fire roasted inside a pastry shell).  They were SO good.  We ate several a day to make sure we had our fill while we were there.


After getting settled & full from lunch, we headed over to old town Lagos to see what it had to offer.  There was a beautiful wall around the old part of the city & you know how I love exploring OLD buildings & structures.  It was great.



These flower trees were everywhere there.  They bloomed with the most vibrant flowers I've ever seen.  They were GORGEOUS.



Tile, tile, & more tile.  Portugal is known for it's beautiful tile, especially the blue & white tiles.




This old church was gorgeous, but closed when we arrived, so we decided to go back our 2nd day to tour the inside.



And we ate ourselves sick with ice cream every chance we could get.  This one was dulce de leche flavored.




The buildings, streets, & doors/windows of the city were just gorgeous.  I love how unique they all were.





After exploring old town for several hours, we drove out to the formations & decided to hike until sunset.  It was absolutely breathtaking.  The views & the rock formations were one of a kind & I just couldn't get enough of them.  Pictures don't do it justice.  

We also found a lot of agave plants.  Who knew a beach town could be so much like America's southwest?  I felt like I was in Arizona for a lot of this trip.  Lots of cacti, sagebrush, & agave.  I love the silly trees that grew out of the agave plants.


The lighthouse over the Lagos formations is adorable.  We couldn't go inside, but it was cute standing there on the edge of the cliffside.


We spent a good 3 hours hiking in & out & up & down these cliffs.  We even got brave & did a little "off the beaten path" hiking.  Standing on the very edges of these formations/cliffs was just amazingly beautiful.  And you seriously can't beat the sunset here.



















We met some crab friends as we hiked down to the sea level.




As soon as the sun went down, the moon came up.


And we drove back to the beach by our hotel for a sandy walk barefoot in the moonlight.




Oh how I miss being at the beach 24/7.  This trip really spoke to my soul.  I missed this.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment