Monday, July 12, 2021

Lagos, Portugal - Day 3

Day 3 was another fabulous day in Portugal.  I opted for the Irish breakfast with bean, cheeses & roasted veggies.  We shared a big plate of all the pastry goodies & I got my acai bowl again as well.  Yum.




I was fascinated by the chimneys on all the rooftops in Portugal.  They were so unique & every building had them.  Beautiful.


The majority of Saturday was spent on a crazy awesome boat tour of the caverns around the Algarve region.  Benagil Cavern is the most famous, but I was amazed at ALL the caves we went into.  There were probably 30 or so that we saw & they were all spectacular in their own little ways.

For those that know me, I'm terrified of water & cannot swim.  Asking me to get on an inflatable raft/boat for 2 hours is asking me to pretty much have a heart attack.  Sometimes it's the best friends that challenge you & are there to comfort you when you need it most.  I almost didn't do this tour, but they were amazing at making me feel safe & secure & we ended up having a blast.  There were moments of tears & a few almost heart attacks, but overall, I'm SO glad I went!  Thank you my dear friends for being my biggest cheerleaders & helping me do hard things.

The company we used was Arctic Seagull.  I highly recommend them.  Our tour guide was Antonio & our "skipper" was Miguel & they were great.  Both spoke English great & made the tour hilarious & fun.

https://arcticseagull.wixsite.com/benagil-trips




We basically spent 2 hours going in & out of SEVERAL caverns all throughout the Algarve region of Portugal.  Every single cave was unique & beautiful.












Every couple of minutes we'd find a new beach.  We couldn't wait to visit some of them after the boat tour.



The different colors in the caves were amazing.  I loved the purples & greens.  Absolutely gorgeous.  And the water here was amazing.  The teal color is one of the most beautiful colors I've ever experienced at a beach.






I will admit, this particular cavern made me cry a little bit.  The opening was tiny & the swells were really really high that day.  We literally had to wait for a swell to go up & then down & then rush through the hole before another swell came along or we would have been crushed against the top of the cavern.  It terrified me.  But amazingly enough, THIS was my favorite beach of the entire tour.  It was absolutely gorgeous & secret & just lovely.  I loved it.







We decided to visit THIS beach after our tour (& ended up spending about 4-5 hours here).  It was another fantastic beach.  And I loved the hike through the caves to get to it.


Benagil Cave is the most famous of this region.  It was beautiful.











We loved Antonio & Miguel.  Best tour guides EVER.



After our boat tour, we hiked the cliffs above the caverns we toured.





Then we hiked through the caves to get back to that beach we really liked.



We spent another 4 hours just lounging on the beach.  We enjoyed some Portugese sandwiches, hot dogs, & these cream filled donut things that were delicious.



 It was a very simple day of boat rides & beach time, but I loved every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment