Wednesday, January 19, 2022

November Christmas Markets

I was SO thrilled when Germany announced that the Christmas markets would open as scheduled this year.  COVID cases were rising & so I made an effort to go to as many as possible before everything shut down again.

My first stop: Trier (which is always my favorite.)

Some friends of mine all went with me while the kids were in school.  For all of them, this was their first German Christmas Market.  It was a blast showing them everything, eating ALL THE FOOD, & shopping together.



Trier is always my favorite.  Taya was born there 14 years ago, the main market square is gorgeous, & they always use SO MANY TWINKLE LIGHTS.  This year was no exception.  It was beautiful.






The very next day, I rallied up all the kids & we visited the Heidelberg Christmas Market. I love that the market is set up just below the castle.  Talk about amazing views!




Going at night is such a fun experience.  They have everything lit up, the food is AMAZING, & you can buy "glühwein" (alcoholic wassail) or "kinderpunsch" (non-alcoholic version).  We don't drink alcohol, but we LOVE kinderpunsch.  The hot cocoa is always amazing as well.

Each Christmas market has it's own collectible mug so we always get at least one from every market we go to.








Trek & I also visited the Kaiserslautern Christmas Market while the kids attending church youth activities nearby.  Unfortunately, due to COVID cases rising, the market was only open a few days.  I'm SO glad we got to go see it before it closed down.


We bought a beautiful olive wood nativity there.  This olive wood is from olive trees in Bethlehem where Christ was born.  We HAD to have it.  We all need to add more Christ in CHRISTMAS.  It was great to get a decoration piece for our home that did just that.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment