Monday, November 6, 2023

Cadence - An Adventure across Mongolia 🇲🇳 - September 28, 2023

 Sain baitsgaana uu! 


This past week was amazing! Firstly, we had a huge increase in people coming to our English class! Last Monday we ended up teaching 25 kids! It was chaotic but so fun in the end. We also got to meet with some of my favorite members in the ward which was super special as well. I love the people in Darkhan with my whole heart and visiting them has been a special experoence for me. Also, last Monday, people finally came to our YSA FHE, which made it a huge success! We played lots of American games that the new senior couple brought from America including Phase 10, Cover your Assests, and Farkle. I got to see one of our investigators again after a while of not meeting with her too which was a nice surprise. Also, the senior couple had all the missionaries in Darkhan over for enchiladas. It was probably the best food I've ever had! We also sang hymns together and prayed together like a big family which was very special.

Unfortunately, the transfer ended and I got moved again! I was so sad that I couldn't stay with Sister Quincy in Darkhan. It felt like we were together for such a short time! Instead of staying, I got sent to a cool new area called Choibalsan, which is a town far away from the city UB. So I traveled down from Darkhan to the city (7 hour train ride), waited a couple hours, then rode the bus for 12 hours with my new comp Sister Anujin. We got to Choibalsan around 5 in the morning, then slept for an hour and a half, then woke up and got to work. I have never been so tired in my entire life haha. But I love my new comp and new area so much already. Sister Anujin is literally the sweetest and she helps me so much with my Mongolian. I also enjoy helping her learn English. Together we make a great team! 

Choibalsan is such a cool area. There are no mountains so everything is completely flat. Also, the flies are so bad here! They buzz in huge swarms and cling to your clothes while your walking. I have to cover my nose and mouth to stop them from going it when we walk around haha. Also, apparently, the ward here is huge and our investigator list is massive so I'm excited to get to work here! Also, I'm the first American sister to come to Choibalsan in a year so everyone was pretty surprised to see an American sister again. The English class here is super fun and big and we also get to teach piano classes and teach kids English at a cute orphanage. I haven't taught there yet but I'm sure it will be super fun!

Nothing else is really new here but I am excited for all the new experiences we are going to make in this area. With the end of my mission approaching (final 6 months) I really want to make the most of the time I have left. So I want to work even harder to make even stronger relationships with people. Coming to an area where my Mongolian companion is leading is a little hard only because she has already made those relationships and she understands people perfectly. So naturally, everyone turns to her for advice and questions, including questions about me that I could answer myself. It's humbling to be in this position but it is teaching me patience and I am still thankful for the situation I've been put in. I will work very hard this transfer to apply my knowledge and build those relationships and I am thankful for this area!

This week, in preparation for our lessons, I studied examples of faith in the Book of Mormon. In Nephi 16, it tells the story of how Nephi broke his bow and how, through his faith, he received guidance from the Lord on where to hunt after making himself a new bow. The Lord guided them through a compass. He described:

28 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the pointers which were in the ball, that they did work according to the faith and diligence and heed which we did give unto them.

29 And there was also written upon them a new writing, which was plain to be read, which did give us understanding concerning the ways of the Lord; and it was written and changed from time to time, according to the faith and diligence which we gave unto it. And thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring about great things.

I know that we can receive miracles for our faith and diligence: however our faith and diligence must come first. The Lord works according to our faith and diligence, not the other way around. I know that faith and diligence are crucial to becoming a lifelong disciple of Jesus Christ and that if we do not continually strive to have faith, it is easier for us to falter. Faith has helped me through the hardest times on my mission because it pushes you to act even when nothing else seems to be going well. I am thankful for the knowledge of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I am also thankful for the love Heavenly Father has shown me throughout the mission. I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week!

Love,
Sister Potter








No comments:

Post a Comment