Thursday, May 31, 2012

Quick Trip to UT

Well, as you all know, things went south for my dear sweet momma pretty fast.  The day after Mother's Day I got a phone call from my dad letting me know that mom was NOT doing well & that we didn't know if she would make it through or not.  I literally hopped on the next flight out of Monterey.  

Trek was a saint & stayed home with all 5 kids for a WHOLE WEEK.  He missed all of his classes even.  Poor guy.  I'm SO blessed to be married to such a sweetheart.

Though the circumstances were not pleasant, the company at the hospital was.  I would go in & sit with my mom every day for a few hours here & there, & then I'd wait out in the waiting room with all the visitors who came to check on mom.  I loved visiting with family that I hadn't seen or talked to in YEARS.

The best part of the entire trip was spending time with my sweet little niece & handsome little nephew.  I love them SO much & never get to see them.  It was SO fun for me to get in some cuddle time.

Every meal of every day was spent in the hospital cafeteria.  I was surprised at how good it actually was.  Cafeteria food is usually disgusting, but this stuff was healthy, tasty, & there was a HUGE variety.  The best part was that it was dirt cheap too.  Dad & I could eat a biscuit & gravy breakfast with ham, bacon, scrambled eggs, & yogurt for $4.00 total (for both meals).

I loved it when my Uncle Kevin & Uncle Brent flew in from AZ. (Mom's 2 brothers) I hadn't seen them in probably 6 years.  I loved talking & telling stories with them.  It helped me to keep a happy face on when emotions were eating me up inside.

I never officially had a shift that made me sleep at the hospital, but my dad, grandma, Brent, & Kevin did.  I would always laugh when I'd get back to the hospital at the crack of dawn & find them crouched up on 3 or 4 chairs trying to sleep.  Poor guys were such troopers.

It was crazy how I was there a full week & couldn't figure out what day it was by the end of my visit.  The days & hours just start to melt into each other.  It seemed like I was there for an eternity.  Poor mom.  I hope she comes out of this.

Grandma kept putting her hearing aids in Brent's ears because he couldn't hear anything we were saying to each other.  He was HILARIOUS.  He was walking around the room clapping & laughing at all the sounds he could hear with the hearing aids in that he couldn't without them.  I was SO happy to have these little moments of laughter in between all the stress & tears.

We had SO MANY VISITORS.  It was WONDERFUL.  I didn't get a picture of everyone, but I tried to get some of most of them.  It was REALLY nice having Dad's whole family there.  I miss my Aunts & Uncles on the Sorensen side, as well as all the cousins my age that I used to play with as a child.

Unfortunately, I could only stay one week & then I had to come home & take care of my own family.  Mom did really well for a while, & then she just tanked again on Memorial Day.  She heart actually stopped & she died for 6 minutes.  But leave it to my mom to push through.  After 6 minutes her heart started beating again & she's once again fighting.  Someday I hope to be as strong as she is.

We still don't know if she is going to pull through in the end, but she's fighting & we hope she comes out of it all.  We love her so much & can't imagine life without her, but we also know that if she passes away, it's not the end.  We will be together again.  I'm so grateful for a testimony of Jesus Christ & the Resurrection.  We'll be together again in the eternities because we have been sealed together as a family for time & all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment