Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Cadence - Race Cars, Razors, & Heat - August 1, 2023

Сайн байцгаана уу!


I've got to say, this has by far been one of the best weeks of my mission so far! We were given so many opportunities to help, serve, meet, teach, and have fun with so many wonderful people! This week also had its own very frustrating moments. And most of those frustrations had to do with the heat. Who would have thought Mongolia could be 100 degrees???

This week we did two service projects. First, we got water for Yanjansuren egch again. Except the first time we went to get her water, the well had closed for a lunch break 10 minutes before we got there. The rest of our day was swamped so we had to reschedule and come back the next day. When we went to get water the first time, we weren't sure what to do since the well was closed and we couldn't wait two hours for it to open again. However, two sweet old guys took our water jugs and started begging the workers for well water for us which was nice of them. They weren't successful, so instead they went to a nearby store and bought us two giant jugs of water and invited us to their home to ride camels, drink alcohol, and sleep in a ger. Sadly we had to decline and tried to get away as they took dozens of pictures of us haha. Thankfully we successfully got water the second time around.

We also had the opportunity to dig the foundation for Erdka's ger on top of a hill yesterday. Erdka picked us up and drove us there and lets just say it was an adventure... He got a new sound system in his car, so we blasted "Mary Did You Know" and outran two cars, who both proceeded to chase us down honking nonstop. And the roads were crazy bumpy so it felt like a thrilling roller coaster car chase!  Also it was 95 degrees outside and as we were hiking to the ger, Sister Stark and I got stung by these really spiky poisonous plants that make our skin bumpy and tinkly for a few hours. Sister Stark had it worse than I did though but we're fine now hehe. Digging the foundation was so tiring but so fun and we made some good progress this time! We also ran into someone while we were working and now she wants to start taking lessons from us so we were so excited!

We went on another fun adventure this week as we tried to visit one member's house. We thought we had the right address so we traveled far only to find out the correct address was in the opposite direction for 12 bus stops. 12 bus stops in Mongolia is A LOT (especially in the city) and we were already so late so we were feeling a little tired and overwhelmed but through it all, I just felt this peace that trying to find the house was what we needed to do. So we hopped on 3 different busses and waited for others and overall, the entire adventure took about 2 hours but we made it! The member lived in the most beautiful area I have ever seen in Mongolia, surrounded by mountains and beautiful huts. Her family was so fun to visit and they were so full of the Spirit. They lowkey reminded me of my family and it was a tender mercy getting the opportunity to spend time with them. They also had a pet turtle so that was pretty awesome. Then we got to drive home during sunset and twilight and I have never seen such a beautiful sight in my life. All the gers and bashins were lit up on the beautiful mountains and everything was so peaceful. Heavenly Father blessed us and I felt His love through that visit.

Last week, we took on some missionaries' English teaching assignments so we got to teach a class of 35 beginner students and it was the most fun English class I've ever taught! It was so stressful but so fun because everyone was so beginner but trying so hard to learn. Many of them were kids who came to class all by themselves to learn too. I loved teaching them and I miss teaching in person English class. I enjoy teaching the online advanced class too of course but there is something so special about seeing and helping people in person. I love teaching English here!

This week, we also visited one of our new members at work. She was so excited to see us that she started inviting everyone in the store she was working at to English class and church. Through that exchange, we gained two new promising investigators! It's amazing the work you can accomplish when you work with and serve the members in the ward. We also found another new investigator through the Elder's investigator who is getting baptized this weekend. This transfer has really strengthened my testimony of ministering to and working with ward members. Through their help, we can branch out and help everyone come unto Christ, which is so amazing to me! 

Other fun stuff:
- The Elders found a lint razor at one member's house and had a blast cleaning their pants mid visit
- We went biking last pday in a beautiful park
- We ate Mexican food today at a cool restaurant! Not bad but I still miss Cafe Rio and Chipotle
- Our power went out twice this week
- Our landlady wanted to take us out to lunch today but we were still in pj's so we went to a bakery in our pj's
- One English student came up to me after class and told me to "fix my Mongolian"... I love my students haha

I wanted to share a scripture I came across in my study of the Book of Mormon this week. In Ether 12, it says:

32 And I also remember that thou hast said that thou hast prepared a house for man, yea, even among the mansions of thy Father, in which man might have a more excellent hope; wherefore man must hope, or he cannot receive an inheritance in the place which thou hast prepared

It never occurred to me until my mission just how important hope is in God's plan for us. Without hope, how can we accomplish all that He has in store for us? Heavenly Father wants us to look forward with hope because, through hope, we find a determination and a desire to have faith and push forward. I know that if we strengthen our hope in Christ and in His plan for us, we can create that desire we need to keep going in this life. Life is going to become difficult. This past week alone, I was faced with many challenges and difficulties. But through the hope that I had in Christ's grace for me, I felt strengthened by Christ and felt His help and support pushing me forward as I worked this week. I could not have done the things I did this week without Him by my side. I am thankful for this work and for the fulfillment and joy it has brought me. I am thankful for the relationships I have been able to make with so many wonderful people this transfer. I know that Christ lives and that He gives us strength when we need it and turn to Him. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ amen. I love you all and have a wonderful week! If you have questions for me, asuugaarai (please ask)!

Love,
Sister Potter









No comments:

Post a Comment