Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Burg Lichtenberg

The best thing about living in Germany is that there are castles everywhere.  We have 2 really great castles just 15 minutes away from our front door in two different directions.  We have Burg Nanstein in Landstuhl & Burg Lichtenberg in Kusel.  I love both of them & go to both as often as I can.  There's just something special about the quiet solitude of being up high on a hill overlooking the German countryside while sitting on a castle wall while reading a book.  It's heaven on earth & I'll take advantage of it every day that I can.

In October Trek & I visited Burg Lichtenberg for the first time & fell in love with it.  The kids were "all castled out" (our 'poor' children already sick of 'seeing just another castle' . . . someday they'll thank us for dragging them to castles) so we made a date out of it & decided to bring the kids later when they were a little more excited about it.

The castle was built around 1200 AD.  We spent 3 hours just literally playing hide & seek in this place.  It's AMAZING.  SO MANY holes & nooks & crannies & towers & amazingness to behold.










There is an actual "keep" at this castle.  (aka a lookout tower).  Trek & I climbed the 10 flights of stairs to the top & spent some time overlooking the Kusel Valley.  It's beautiful.








The castle ruins are amazing.  I couldn't help but try to imagine what the castle was like once upon a time.  It reminded me of Howarts.  There was a "great hall" & everything.  (which is why we did our Halloween pics here).










The major find of the entire day was this little building here.  It's a restored part of the castle & houses 2 little museums inside.  As I explored a little further, I found a concert hall on the top floor of the building complete with a grand piano.  Guess where my Winter Piano Recital is going to be next week?  Yup!  IN THIS CASTLE.



There is one area of the castle that is just completely open area.  Trek & I both agreed that this would be a perfect place for camping.  How cool would it be to camp in castle ruins?  So, once the weather heats up enough, we're going to ask if we can have a campout there. 










We love Burg Lichtenberg.  I go there all the time now.  It's beautiful, less than 15 minutes from my house, & just perfect for a morning walk.  I'll be visiting it many many more times while we live here.


Adventure is Out There




The castle grounds are absolutely free to explore.  The concert hall is 50 Euro to rent out for 2 hours. There is a youth hostel in the castle that can also be rented out.  There are 3 museums & those cost to visit.  There is also an adorable little restaurant on site if you get hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment