Monday, March 13, 2023

Sharon & Dale Visit - Day 3 - Heidelberg, Park Fun, Big Emma's

On Monday, we woke up early to get the girls to seminary & the boys off to school.  After walking the boys to the bus stop, we made our way to the village bakery for some yummy breakfast baked goods.



Then we hopped in the car & drove to Heidelberg, Germany, one of my favorite cities here.  I've always loved Heidelberg.  It's an adorable city right on the river with a HUGE castle on top of the mountain.  It's just beautiful.



The first thing I took them to do was to see the castle.  There are English tours at 11:15 & 2:00 so we tried for the 11:15 tour.  It turned out their English tour guide didn't show up for the day so they didn't have any English tours going.  We decided to do the German tour anyway & I translated for my family.  I'm a terrible translator, but I was able to at least give them dates, names, & things like that.  I was surprised at how well I did do this time around.  I've taken this tour in English several times, so I think that helped with my translation as well.












The outside of this castle is absolutely gorgeous, but I really love it because you can go inside this castle as well.  Most of it is in ruin, but there is one section that is still in great shape.  They have it decorated in furniture from the 16th century & it's amazing.




















As I was translating from the tour guide, I knew he was talking about wine, how well it was growing,  & how it got bigger & bigger & bigger, but couldn't figure out why the tour guide was saying that. . . then I remembered the HUGE wine storage barrels in this castle.  I had to laugh.  I thought for sure I was translating incorrectly, but turns out, I got it spot on.






After our tour, we walked around for a bit & enjoyed the beauty of the castle.















Then we walked down to the city to do some shopping.  We stopped by the beautiful cathedral in the main city square.





We also enjoyed some Schneeballen from Rothenburg.


And visited Kathe Wohlfahrt to buy Keaton a nutcracker.



We shopped some more, then enjoyed some currywurst for lunch.




Once we got back home, the kiddos got home from school & they took my family for a walk in the fields while I taught piano lessons.  They stopped to play at the village park for a bit too.







They also visited the bee farm & bought some fresh honey to take back to Utah with them.


Once Trek got home, the grown ups went out to dinner to a restaurant called Big Emma's.  They had robot servers & the hugest portions I've ever seen in Germany.


We ordered drinks & they were A FULL LITER!  We got apfelschorle which is our favorite drink here.  It is a mixture of apple juice & spritzer water.




For dinner Trek got some pasta & I had kasespaetzle.  Everyone else enjoyed schnitzel.


Trek drank his entire liter of apfelschorle.  He was ready to puke by the time he was done.




It was a super fun day.  I love days where we can explore & still enjoy some family time.


No comments:

Post a Comment