Thursday, May 25, 2023

Canyon's 10th Birthday

Canyon's birthday this year was unique for sure.  First off, we live in an empty shell of a house with no furniture except a couch, a table & chairs, & a sing bed for each person.  Secondly, Trek was in the states & the other 4 kiddos were at friends' houses so I was running the show all by myself this time.  And finally, the day before his party, my van broke down so I was completely stranded in my house & had no way to go anywhere, including the store to buy supplies for the party.  It made for a very interesting adventure.

Nancy had sent me some Zelda things for his party since Zelda just came out & Canyon LOVES the Zelda game.  I told Canyon he could invite a couple of friends so he invited 4 from church & 4 from school.  But then I started getting RVSP's from all sorts of parents from his school.  I started counting those RSVP's & sat him down asking exactly how many people he invited.  He said he felt bad only picking four, so he invited his whole class.  (Mind you I only made 4 invitations for his school friends.  He had to have hand written all the information down on paper for everyone else.).  I absolutely LOVE that he is a friend to everyone & that he wants everyone to feel included, but it gave me a mild panic attack not knowing how this party was going to happen.  We had 7 chairs TOTAL in the house.






When kids started showing up, we made do with what we had.  We used the couch, the chairs, the backyard, & the floor for people to eat.  Since I didn't have a car to drive to the store to get some pizza, I wound up ordering pizza for them all.  I thought with the 12 kids that showed up that they'd eat at least 4-5 pizzas.  I got 4 not knowing how many were actually coming & they barely ate 2 of them.  It was so funny to me.  My kids eat a TON, but these kids ate NOTHING.



After dinner, I wanted to send them all to the park to run off some energy, but it started pouring rain.  We pulled everyone back inside & had them play some games upstairs.  Tony came at the half way point during the party with his gelato truck & the kids were thrilled to have ice cream.

Canyon got a banana split since it was his birthday, but I told the other kids they could have 2 scoops of ice cream.  I actually had one kid tell me I was a horrible person because I wouldn't let him get a banana split too.  He yelled at me & complained that his parents would let him have one so why did I have to say no?  I tried to explain that the cost would be to high for me to let everyone have big things & that I needed him to keep it to 2 scoops of ice cream.  He got his two scoops, stomped off into the house, then took 3 bites & left the rest on the table to melt.  Another little girl did the same thing wanting spaghetti eis instead of 2 scoops & demanded that since she was the only girls at the party that I needed to buy one for her.  I was really surprised at how rude some of these kids were.  I've never experienced that at a birthday party before.  The kids we invited from church were so polite & thanked me for the ice cream, but the 9 others did not.  Thanks is definitely not required, but it definitely made me like those other 3 kids more.


We had a few kids show up late to the party & others that had to leave early, but it was fun getting to know a bunch of kids I had never met before.  And Canyon LOVED having friends over.


After ice cream, we played some super smash brothers & lego brawl.  Again we had some issues with some of the kids NOT wanting to let the other kids have a turn.  They told me they just wanted to keep playing.  I had to physically take it out of their hands so the other kids could have a turn.  It was the weirdest thing.  But Canyon was SUCH A GOOD KID & kept pleading with his friends to share the controllers with others.  Canyon never even got a turn.  He just let his friends play & worked really hard to make sure everyone was getting turns & having a good time.  He is such a wonderful little boy.  I'm so proud of who he is & what a good person he is becoming.




At the end we opened up some presents & he enjoyed lots of fun surprises from his friends.









Overall the party was a success & he was SO happy to have one even though we don't have anything in the house.  

His actual birthday was May 13th so he woke up to his favorite breakfast for birthday breakfast:
scrambled eggs, apples, bacon, & ding dongs.






I can't believe this guy is in double digits now.
10 years old.


After breakfast we opened up presents from the family.  (Most of which were still in amazon boxes because our wrapping paper & gift bags are on a boat headed to UT.  Moving makes things SO hard.)



Nancy got him all sorts of fun new clothes, shoes, & an amazing lego tie bomber set.  He loved putting that together.


Opa & Oma got him a Buzz Lightyear figurine & some Yoshi toys.


Mimi & Baba got him a really fun Mario game.


And for his birthday dinner I made him Southwestern Pasta Salad with sweet hawaiian sweet rolls, tomatoes, cucumbers, & mushrooms.


He was one happy boy.


Happy birthday Canyonland!  
We love you SO much & are SO proud of the young man you are becoming.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment