Friday, May 26, 2023

Ribbons + Molasses

Last week I ran to the base to pick up my mail.  One thing I've learned here in Germany is that you never know what your mail will look like by the time it gets to you.  Sometimes it's perfect, & other times it's a scary mess & you wonder how it even made it.

I’ve been waiting on several packages so I was hoping they’d all come.  Some of Canyon’s bday presents finally came, some clothes I ordered ages ago, but I have been waiting for 500 yards of ribbon hoping it would get here by Tuesday.  For Adventure Group in RS this week, we’re learning how to make leis for graduation. I wanted to make Lorien some leis for graduation next week.  I ordered about $60 worth of ribbon & needed it to get here NOW.  Well, the post office guy brought me 6 normal packages, & then one package in a plastic bag covered in goo.  Apparently there was a “molasses incident” at the Frankfurt airport customs office & one of my packages was somehow in the center of the “incident.”  Of course, THAT was my package of $60 worth of ribbon.  (Insert face palm here).  It took me nearly 20 minutes to work my way INTO the box that was completely covered in molasses.  It had hardened & was like glue.  Inside were 5 rolls of ribbon. Luckily, 3 of the rolls were encased in plastic & I was able to save them for the most part.  Only the outside ring or two of the ribbon was black so I cut it off & saved the rest of the roll just fine.  Two of the rolls were covered in molasses. . . a blue roll, & of course my ONE WHITE ROLL which was now a dull grey color.  :-(.  I filled the sink with the hottest water possible & some German laundry soap & got to work scrubbing 200 yards of ribbon by hand for 2 hours.  The water was absolutely DISGUSTING.  I had to re-do that a few times just to try to get the ribbon clean.  AND IT WORKED!!!  I got both of them clean.  Now they are drying & then I have to untangle them all & roll them up so I can make them into leis.  I kind of feel like a super hero right now.  I can’t believe I got them clean!

Always an adventure!

















 

No comments:

Post a Comment