Thursday, June 6, 2019

Cubs Scouts Egg Drop Challenge

Here I am 3 months behind on my blog, yet again.  Sorry guys.  Life has been CRAZY.  But I am sitting in a completely empty house (as in sleeping on the floor) while our household goods are on a boat on their way to Germany.  We officially move in 2 weeks so I finally have a moment to myself to update my blog.  Hopefully there will be a lot of reading material for you over the next week or so.  Enjoy!

My boys love cub scouts.  Bladen has been a Bear Scout all year & Craiger just started as a Wolf Scout in February.  Our scout troop here has been fabulous for them.

In April the scout troops did an egg drop contest.  This was a first for both my boys.  It was VERY exciting.  We did a lot of research on what would work & the boys insisted on asking a dear friend (a scientist) of ours from Mountain View.  Mark Rober is a youtube star for creating fun science videos for kids (& adults love them too).  He did a whole video just on the physics of egg drop contests.  My boys watched that & thanks to Mark, they were able to build 2 very different, but very effective contraptions for their eggs.

Here is a link to Mark's video.  (Watch all his videos, they're SO fun)

Both boys were a huge success at the contest.  Bladen's contraption came in 2nd place & Craiger's came in 3rd.  We were very proud of them.





Craiger put his egg inside a soccer ball filled with polyester filling. . . the same filling used in stuffed animals.  It worked VERY well.



Bladen opted for the straw triangle contraption & it was surprisingly perfect for this sort of thing.  That egg DID NOT want to break.  I was amazed at how well it held up.



No comments:

Post a Comment