Friday, June 7, 2019

"Sew" Fun

I spent a good chunk of April teaching my girls basic sewing skills.  I taught myself how to sew after Trek & I were married a few years.  My dad bought me my first sewing machine for Christmas in 2003 & encouraged me to learn how to sew.  I didn't at first because I thought sewing was for old people.  But FINALLY I got the machine out of the box a year or two after having received it & started playing with it.  The rest is history.  I LOVE sewing.  LOVE LOVE LOVE.  Over the years I've taught myself several techniques, stitches, & am finally very proud of what I've accomplished with my sewing knowledge.

I want to pass that knowledge on to my kids.  My girls have been working hard on their Personal Progress award with our church.  They have to complete 48 goals (similar to merit badges in scouts) & 8 projects that must take 10 hours or more to complete for a total of 80+ hours.  For one of their projects, they wanted to learn how to sew.

It took us 4 weeks of working all afternoon on Fridays & all day on Saturdays & Sundays, but they were able to learn how to sew on a button, how to thread & use basic stitches on a sewing machine, how to hem pants/shorts/dresses, & how to cut & sew actual clothing pieces.

Each girl turned a pair of pants into shorts for themselves & also for their little brothers for the summer.  They also hemmed pants/skirts for themselves & sewed a pair of pajama pants from scratch for themselves.  Of course there is much more to be learned, but it's a good start. . . a foundation in sewing skills.  I'm very proud of them.
















The boys were getting jealous of the girls' new pajama pants so I ended up whipping up a pair for each of them as well.  Easy Peasy.  They LOVED them.




The girls did a fabulous job, learned new things, & were able to check off another one of their projects.  I'm SO proud of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment