Friday, June 7, 2019

Pride & Prejudice

So what has kept me SO busy for the last 3 . . . (actually 6) months?  The Prattville Way Off Broadway Theater hired me on as their costume director for the Spring Play "Pride & Prejudice."  They asked me back in October if it was something I'd be interested in doing & I agreed to do it.  The play's performances were every weekend in April & the first weekend in May & it was amazing.

I had an absolute blast.  I will admit, I put my heart & soul into these costumes.  I had 9 costumers helping me sew different pieces.  In total, we made 84 costume pieces for this play.  I also hand made 9 bonnets.  Out of the 84 pieces, only about 9 were purchased online.  Thank heavens for those 9 sweet souls who helped me complete this gigantic task.  I spent over 150 hours of sewing time.  It was incredible.  Now I'm taking a much needed break from my sewing machine for few months to catch my breath.  As fun as it was, it was stressful at times & I'm glad it's over with.


The play itself was amazing.  Cadence decided to try out for this play (her first time auditioning for a real play) & she ended up getting the part of Lydia Bennett, the youngest & wildest of the Bennett sisters.  We laughed SO hard when she got that part.  It's SO NOT CADENCE.  Cadence is quiet & shy & sweet.  Lydia is loud, annoying, & flirtatious.  This play really pushed her & she was fabulous. She was a lot of people's favorite character & I'm VERY proud of her performances as Lydia.




She was adorable.  Lydia is 15-16 in the play & she ends up eloping with the villainous George Wickham (the officer).  Wickham was played by one of Cadence's friends (& he is also SUPER shy so the pair was kind of hilarious.).  They had a blast together.



Cadence made a lot of friends with her play "sisters."  They still continue to meet up & have fun together even after the play is done.








Cadence's costumes were my favorite to make.  I did all 3 of her dresses, her spinner jacket, & all her bonnets.  We kept them all & I can't wait to use them for future fun things like Regency Fairs, tea parties, & other fun dress up occasions.




The entire cast was phenomenal.  I loved every single one of those actors.  We became family over the 6 months we spent together rehearsing & we will never forget our time together.

















Although we are sad it's over (6 months is a LONG time to be with the same people 9 hours a week), we made lifelong friendships & learned SO much.  I'm so grateful for the experiences we had with this theater here in Prattville.  Community Theater is the BEST.

No comments:

Post a Comment