Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Smithsonian Museum of American History

Right next to the Museum of Natural History is the Museum of American History.  I had heard some really fun things about the portion of this museum that had the Hollywood historical things inside it so we decided it was a must-see for my mom & I since we both adore the history of movies & Hollywood.

In front of the museum, some ladies dressed in early 19th century clothing stopped my kids & asked them if they could please help them wash their clothes.  My kids smiled & got right to work.  They thought it was really fun to learn how washing clothes has changed over the years.  We all decided that we like washing machines a whole lot more than having to do it all by hand. . . although my boys want a roller in the house now.  I could just see them getting their fingers stuck inside one.  ha ha ha.







The area with the Hollywood things also has a lot of fun historical American things as well.  I laughed when I saw a cornerstone of the Nauvoo LDS temple there.  There are only 4 of these stones in the world today & now I've seen 3 of the 4.  How cool is that?  I was just excited that something historical from my religion was in a Smithsonian.


Trek took it easy with the kids while I explored every exhibit.


Kermit the Frog

Archie Bunker's Chair 

The real reason I went to this portion of the museum was to see Judy Garland's ruby slippers worn while filming "The Wizard of Oz."  They were SPECTACULAR.


The Apple 2
My hubby is such a cute nerd.

So we originally went to the American History Museum for that exhibit (with the Hollywood things), but on our way out, we came across something that I will never in a thousand lifetimes forget.  I love it when something unexpected happens in life.

On display they had 
THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER.
Yes, the actual flag that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the National Anthem.  I can't even begin to express to you how amazing it was to stand there & behold such an important part of our history.  Trek & I just bawled as we stood & stared at it's majesty.  I had no idea it was so massively huge.  We weren't allowed to take any pictures as it's starting to fade with age & is in a light protected room behind glass . . . but it was beyond remarkable to see.  If you're ever in the DC area. . . THAT is worth seeing.
 

We only spent about an hour in this museum.  But it was enough for now.  (We're planning several trips back to DC over the next 3 years to see everything in it's entirety!)

No comments:

Post a Comment