Sunday, July 12, 2020

Globus Tour


So here in Germany, we don't have convenient stores like Target or Walmart.  It is a weird adjustment & one of the things I do miss about the states.  I miss being able to jump in my car at 11pm & run to Walmart for last minute things I need for a birthday party or a school project.  Everything in Germany closes pretty early (5 or 6 pm) & nothing opens until 8:00 am at the earliest.  So if you forget something at the store, you're up the creek until the next day.

We do have one giant store (not as big as a Target or Walmart, but huge for German standards where a grocery store is the size of a large gas station in the states) called Globus.  Our church congregation was able to talk to the store & get the employees there to give us a Globus Tour.  Each tour is 3 1/2 hours long & walks Americans through the ins & outs of shopping in Germany.  I've been here for a year now (& 3.5 years 10 years ago) so I know the basics, but this tour goes into extreme detail about customs, products, etc.  I've been wanting to do a tour for a while & was thrilled when our church group was approved to do it.  There were so many of us, we had to divide up into 2 tours.  Half the ladies did the tour one week, & the other half did the tour the 2nd week.  I was in the 2nd tour.  

We had so much fun!!  It took nearly 4 hours, but we learned so much.  I loved learning about the different cleaning products in Germany.  They are SO much better than American cleaning products.  I loved the stories the tour guide told about WWII & why our flag was put on several German products (out of gratitude for ending the war).  I loved seeing the bakery & how they make the magic happen with all their delicious breads & pastries.  I loved learning about all the different German meats & how to order them correctly.  Everything was AMAZING.  Our tour guide was INCREDIBLE.

Then at the very end of the tour, they put us in the eatery area & gave us a whole tray of food to sample.  We had freshly made pizza, 2 slices of cheesecake, hot dogs, tuna salad, cheese, & sushi.  It was incredible.  They also sent us home with a grocery bag of products to try at home.  



It was seriously one of my favorite days here in Germany.  SO much fun with friends too.  Thank you Globus for hosting us.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog includes a lot of useful information and really appreciate your effort
    ülker kekse

    ReplyDelete