Friday, January 13, 2023

Israel - Day 6 - The Garden of Gethsemane

Our last stop of of the day was the beautiful Garden of Gethsemane.  The Garden of Gethsemane is located on the western slope of the Mount of Olives.

Matthew 26:36
"Then cometh Jesus with them to a place called Gethsemane, & saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go & pray yonder.

This garden is the garden where Christ prayed & suffered for the sins of all mankind.  He bled from every pore & felt every bit of pain & suffering everyone in the world would ever feel.  He did this so that we could repent & be forgiven of our sins.  He did this for us; his atonement for our sins is our greatest gift.










The Church of the Nations is built over part of the garden now.  Inside, just below the altar is the "rock of agony" that Christ prayed on in the Garden that night.  Nobody knows if that is the exact rock for sure, but it symbolizes the sacrifice he made for us there.























I'm SO happy we got to visit the Garden of Gethsemane.  I definitely was overcome with feelings as I walked around this beautiful garden.  It reminded me of one of my favorite songs:

Gethsemane
Jesus climbed the hill to the garden still, his steps were heavy & slow.
Love & a prayer, took him there, to the place only he could go.
Gethsemane, Jesus loves me, so he went willingly, to Gethsemane.

He felt all that was sad, wicked, or bad, all the pain we would ever know.
While his friends were asleep, he fought to keep, his promise made long ago.
Gethsemane, Jesus loves me, so he went willingly, to Gethsemane.

The hardest thing that ever was done,
the greatest pain that ever was known,
the biggest battle that ever was won,
this was done by Jesus, the fight was won by Jesus.

Gethsemane, Jesus loves me, so he gave his gift to me in Gethsemane.
Gethsemane, Jesus loves me, so he gives his gift to me, from Gethsemane.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment