Sunday, January 1, 2023

Morocco Day 2 - Cobras & Monkeys & Henna, Oh My!

Our city walking tour there ended in the marketplace in the center of town where we were literally mobbed by street vendors.  







First, a snake charmer threw a snake over Craiger’s shoulders, then handed me a poisonous snake telling me to pinch the head tightly so it wouldn’t bite.  The kids are all terrified of snakes so none of this went over well with them.  Snakes don’t bother me, but I could tell Lorien & Taya especially were not having it.  They insisted on taking a picture of us with all these snakes, then they threw 2 more on dad’s shoulders & literally whispered in his ear “that’s 400 Durham!”  ($40). They seriously nickel & dime everything there.  Trek gave them $20 but no more & they started yelling at him & chasing him which was a little nerve-racking.  















Meanwhile, a monkey jumped up on Craiger (poor Craiger always got hit first with these guys).  Then the monkey climbed over to Taya to try to get her water bottle & then ended on Canyon where he pooped all over Canyon’s arm.  They also wanted money for letting the kids touch the monkeys (which we didn’t even want in the first place), we gave them $10.  







Then, I looked down & noticed a woman squatting next to me & she had been drawing with henna on my hand & I didn’t even feel it.  I was so pre-occupied with the guys chasing dad, & the monkeys attacking the other kids I totally missed the fact that I had a henna tattoo going on!  I pulled my hand away & said “NO! I don’t want one!”  Then I hear Lorien yell, “Mom, they took Taya!”  I turned around & another woman had grabbed Taya & was dragging her away from us & was also painting henna on her hand.  Taya was yelling for me so I ran over & grabbed her from the lady.  “NO, We don’t want them!”  Then she started chasing after me saying we owed her $20.  It was insane.  We finally, just ran out of that market area & back to our hotel because we were over it.  It was too crazy.  I never felt “unsafe,” but I was really really annoyed at how aggressive the people were in regards to getting money.  It took the fun out of the experience.  I know they are just really really poor & trying to make a living, but sheesh.  It was CRAZY.


The henna was interesting.  It hardened like a mud mask & then you brushed it off & washed your hands about 20 minutes later.  The dye stayed & darkened over several days.  It took about a week for it to fully disappear.  It was beautiful, but again, I would have rather asked for it than for it to be done to me without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment